Friday, February 18, 2011

I discovered on Wednesday that I was almost out of yeast.......... I had been wanting the container and measuring spoon from King Arthur Flour for some time and after checking the budget I found that I could order it this week. SAF yeast is the best........ It rises so much better and is so much easier to use...... The measuring spoon is 2 1/2 teaspoons which is one packet of yeast......... Now to find time to make some bread or rolls this weekend.


I also got the sour dough starter (over 250 years old).............. Can you imagine keeping something alive that long?........... I got the crock to keep it in.......... Since Robert and Rebekah got me the Italian Bread pan I can now try a few loaves of that and also make some sourdough bread..........


Someone is looking at the house today and someone else is coming on Sunday. We had the house all clean and shiny from the people that looked at it on Wednesday. That is why I made the bread............ It makes the house smell so good.

This morning I baked some cookies to make it smell inviting. Perhaps this is the year we will sell and move..........Prayers appreciated...............

7 comments:

  1. I've had the King Arthur starter for about 8 years now and it's still going strong! I don't even remember to feed it like I should, but it doesn't seem to mind. I have the old crock they used to have from Ransbottom Pottery that is tan and blue. I got it with my first starter from them, close to 15 years ago. That starter lasted until I moved to NJ from NY...I gave it away before I left. Enjoy it...it makes great bread. Try their Rustic Sourdough, it's delicious! http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/rustic-sourdough-bread-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never noticed either of those things in the King Arthur catalog. I would love to have both. How much yeast does it hold? I buy mine through our co op and it's a pound bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan... You have all my PRAYERS That this is your year... WOW, I will be able to smell the bread here when it is baked... Where do you get the starter in the first place...I would love to try to make bread from scratch... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that crock! I can't imagine keeping the starter going so long! I will have to check out the web site, I have looked at it in the past but haven't looked for awhile.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the crock before - really cute. Love all of your knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that crock. I keep wanting to try sourdough bread....maybe i'll have to look into that. And your socks are awesome - i'm still slowly plugging away on mine - tiny yarn and tiny needles are hard on my eyes:)
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your baked goods look delectable. I love King Arthur and your sour dough crock is very cute. I have done sour dough off and on over the years, but sadly let mine die. Maybe I'll go to their website and get started again. Hope this is your year to sell your house, I'll say a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10