Monday, November 22, 2010

This Weekend I Tried Something New............

I saw a picture on Sentimental Quilter of a pincushion that someone had sent to Kathy as a gift. It looked like it might be fun to make for my friends..........


After a few tries I finally realized that I would need to make two squares in order to get pieces to go in opposite directions. That would mean that I would be making two at one time.


I checked out my little drawer with one inch strips.............


Dumped them on the table and got to work.


I cut two five inch squares from muslin and got to work covering them with strips



With that done I squared my block..................and cut each block into four pieces cutting each square on the diagonal..............



Sewed them together again.............


It sure is messy to be creative. I dumped some buttons on the workbench and made some selections........... I also cut some 5 inch squares for the pincushion backing.


I realized that I needed to add a border because the block I had was rather heavy with all the layers of fabric.............


Trimmed them down, stitched on the backing, added some buttons......... and voila......... Two gifts all ready to wrap.............. Now I need to make six more. I am using a 1 1/2 inch strip in the middle on these. I found that the one inch strip put the seam too close to the center.....



10 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous gifts!

LuAnn said...

Very cute pincushions. I love that you showed how you dumped all your scraps and buttons. Looks like you had fun creating!!

Barbara J said...

Lovely pin cushions! And thanks for the tutorial. You make it looks so easy.

Jessica said...

very cute!

Quiliting in Mequon said...

Hi Susan... How sweet they are... what a great idea to use up scrap material...I just might have to give it a try... You are so smart... :)

Janet said...

What great pincushions! Thanks for the tutorial - I just might make one this morning. :0)

Jeanne said...

Love those pincushions! I hope to add one to my sewing area very soon.

Kathleen C. said...

I like the way you combined the 4 pieces so the strips are going in different directions.
I make pincushions with selvages, stitching them diagonally on a base fabric, as you did. (But I don't divide the pincushion top into 4 sections). And I do the button top, too.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love it. Those are so cute and look pretty easy. Thanks so much.

Christie said...

Love your pin cushion tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I found you today thru Inspired by Antique Quilts and glad I did! HUGS... and stitches

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10