Friday, January 09, 2009

Car Inspection

I got a 2009 inspection sticker for my car. That might not sound like much to you but it was a real treat for me. Let me explain.

My car is OLD. Not vintage, just old. All it has to do is take me to work each day and then take me home again. I live 1.7 miles from the office. No, I cannot walk. That takes too much time. Yes, I am overweight and I should be walking but I am not.

Last year just before inspection time, the Check Engine light came on. I took it to our mechanic.


What can I say, you know you are in trouble when the person looking at your car says......" Hey, Joe come look at this, I have never seen anything like this before." No, not good at all. It seems that there is a flaw in the engine design and some little valve thingy isn't working as it should......... Perhaps the car should not have lived this long and I would never have known but it is a $600.00 repair. Did I mention that the car was old? Well, last year for some reason the light went off, I rushed to the station to get the inspection done and as soon as I got the new sticker the light came on again. I have been driving around for a year with that light shining.

Now it is inspection time again. Lem took it to the mechanics to see if it was worth fixing. They got the light to go off and said it might need new tires but to see what I could do. That was yesterday afternoon. I didn't get to the service station before they closed so I left early this morning to get the sticker and then hopefully we could enjoy the weekend. The light came one before I got to Main St. I headed back to the mechanic and he turned it off for me again. And here is what I learned. If you car is pre 1996, you just need to disconnect one battery cable for 20 seconds and the computer will reset. It has no memory. After 1996, the computers were smarter and you had to complete a drive cycle before the light went out. Anyhow, I found out that a 10mm wrench was all I needed to reset the light and off I went. Yes........ It did come back on about 2 blocks from the station.

The next stop was the hardware store 2 doors from the service station. The wonderful manager there provided the needed wrench and took off the battery cable for me. I made it to the station and I GOT MY STICKER........... Now I am good .............. At least until March when I will need to register the car. Then we are back to the law of Diminishing Returns. Perhaps by then it will be in Gods plans for me to be in NC at that time. I don't know. I just know that I am here until He sends the right person to buy our house. Still praying daily for the grace to march in place until He guides my steps somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10