Friday, May 25, 2007

Let the Games Begin


Well, they are here.................. They being "the visitors"..... People think it is great living on Cape Cod but the truth is, while it is a great place to vacation it is not a great place to live. The town I live in has a population of about 6,000. During the summer it becomes 23,000. Traffic becomes a nightmare and the rule is "You do not go anywhere that requires a left turn." Folks tend to leave their manners and intellect at home when they vacation. Grocery shopping must be done before 9:00 AM and after 10:00 PM. Restaurants are crowded and the prices are raised during the summer.

Yes, I am only 1 1/2 miles from the ocean but living here I often forget to go. Silly me. I get so involved in the things required for day to day living that I don't take time out for enjoying the things here.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my! Some of what you describe in the summer is year round here--like the grocery shopping and traffic! LOL! I guess we kind of forget about it though--it must be frustrating when it's sporadic that way.

Carolyn said...

I know exactly what you mean! I lived for 9 years on Long Island, NY. I was 10-15 minutes from both the North Shore and South Shore beaches and I rarely went...especially in summer! My favorite time was spring and fall, when all the tourists had gone home. Now I'm an hour from the NJ shore and have been there once in the 8 years I've lived here. And that was just last summer! I also live within walking distance of a lovely beach in my town and although I walk by it frequently, except for Canoe Carnival, I don't go in it. Maybe this is the summer...NAH!!!

Rebekah Smith said...

At least this summer one of the visiting tourist will be yours. I hope to be there in July...I am really looking forward to our time together.

Darlene said...

I know exactly how you feel - as soon as the fall weather arrives our winter visitors (aka snowbirds) arrive, as well. And, then they are everywhere! And, I do mean everywhere! LOL

Shelina said...

I can understand the frustrations of living in a touristy place. My aunt and uncle live at Niagara Falls, and they don't see the falls unless someone who is visiting them asks to go see it.

Connie said...

I can only imagine the frustration you must go through with those conditions but then the compensation comes from the tourists' spent monies there. Yet it doesn't make up for the lack of manners. People tend to forget that where they are vacationing is also home to many people who are there to serve them. I hope you can find some times for solitude and peace!

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10