Monday, December 08, 2008

Why Do You Quilt?

That was a question asked by Judy of Patchwork Times fame.

While I was working in the studio on Sunday I turned that question over in my mind to see if I could get a concise answer.

I quilt for the same reason I knit and sew garment and bead and tat and do needlepoint and cross stitch.

When I hold a needle in my hand I am connected back through time with all the other women that have made their homes more cheerful and comfortable by stitching. I have one cross stitch sampler that says:

"In the rhythm of the needle there is music for the soul."

For me the rhythm of the needle is relaxation.

5 comments:

Rosa Robichaud said...

Goodness! How many reasons do you want?!?? LOL

Creativity and I LOVE to give away home made gifts to my family! And YES, I feel closer to my (deceased) grandmothers - both were quilters.

And, I'm pretty darn proud of my creations... bloopers and all! LOL

Rosa

ozjane said...

I quilt because I need to create and it is a way of reaching out to others rather than always staying in the same enclave of friends.

Patti said...

After writing about this question myself, I asked others back in August of 2006. Here is a link to the post where I answered and asked - http://hardenbrookgirl.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-do-you-make-quilts.html

Got some great comments. Lots of people answered on their own blogs too - unfortunately I don't have links to those posts.

Merrypal said...

Why do I quilt?

You do know the book by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

That is the only way I can explain why. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and a sense of pride.

The more I quilt the better my work gets. Claudia

Quiltldy said...

Hi Suze... I see you visit my blog. I quilt because it's a wonderful thing to do. My daughter loves my quilts, so does my husband. I read Judy every day, and I'll come back and visit you too! Happy quilting on the next Quiltathon!

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10