I liked cutting out paper dolls in my youth and cutting out the hexagons is much the same thing.
I traced one of the hexagons onto an indes card and added 1/4 inch all the way around. Then I cut that out to use as a pattern.
You can then either trace the design onto your fabric or if you are making lots of them you can
cut a strip of fabric, fold it in half and then half again (four layers), place the pattern on the fabric and cut it out freehand........ That really works best for making lots and lots of pieces.
Placing a hexagon in the center of one of the fabric pieces, I secure it with a binder clip on each side.
i usually use both hands but today I needed one to hold the camera.......
I place the needle up against the edge of the hexagon....
and fold the fabric over it. That seems to give me a crisp clean fold.
A couple of stitches and on to the next corner.
Soon all sides are complete.
I then place two hexagons side by side and with the aid of the binding clip start to whip stitch them together.
It is amazing how fast they go together...................
Love your blog.
ReplyDeleteYou might want to try INKLINGO to make those Hexies. There is a free LeMoyne Star pattern on the site to try it out. You iron the fabric onto freezer paper and send it thru your printer and out pops the pattern right on your fabric. It's a WOW!!!
www.inklingo.com
great way to make those hexies - thanks for the tutorial.
ReplyDeleteKaren
http://karensquilting.com/blog/
Hi Susan... Thanks for the tutorial...Great job, and you make it look easy... Now, one day I will try it... It looks like great hand work...
ReplyDeleteInteresting way to make the hexagons using binder clips - I had not seen that before. Thanks for sharing your method - always fun to learn new ideas.
ReplyDelete