Saturday, August 22, 2009

Goodby Bill

I suppose we slept through that storm. We both worked hard in the basement getting rid of more STUFF and brushing down spider webs. No rain or wind till late evening. When we went to bed last night at 10:00 PM the ocean was really roaring..... We are 1.5 miles away and we could hear it loudly. I know the lights were on at 4:40 AM and then went off but came back online. No signs of even extra leaves down in the yard so we must be fine. I did check online to find the he is still passing offshore. The surfers here will be pleased.


Several years I did a cross stitch piece for a dear nephew on black fabric. I promised that would be my last trip on the dark side.

I was wrong. I found this graph and it really needed to be on black and the friend I was doing it for is such a treasure that I felt she was worth the effort. Once again I promised myself ..NO MORE BLACK...

But I really liked the way it turned out. And also determined that is was perfect for me.

So I began another one... I am not stroking each stitch on this piece. That makes a difference but I am hoping to get this finished and framed before we leave here because the framers here did such an exceptional job and the frame really made the piece. I am trying to get at least 30 minutes a day on this piece so you will be seeing constant progress....

This was from last week. I will confess it took me some time for set up. I needed to get the fabric on the frame and gather the thread together but finally the first stitch was in place.

3 comments:

  1. Ah cross stitch! I have spent many hours I will never get back doing cross stitch! I taught myself when I was 18 and have several not even framed yet. I haven't done it in years (since I started quilting) and now my eyes really make it a struggle. I can appreciate all the work that goes into a hand worked cross stitch. They take much longer to do than one realizes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you weathered Bill OK, Suze. Cross stitch on black, eh? That's a tough one that I too swore never to do again; I have heard though that it may help to put something lightcolored underneath when you stitch? Good luck, it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hand work on black really is a difficult and hard on the eyes. I have not done the cross stitch, but I have handquilted with black thread on a black background. Your cross stitch is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10