Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Bits and Pieces


Some of the duck eggs hatched.........  Two sweet ducklings..........  They survived for four days........  Then they were gone.........  Two more ducks are on the nest so perhaps a few will live longer......




One pair all done except the Kitchener stitch to finish the last one.......



Sock one of pair two is complete except for the Kitchener stitch.........   The history of the Kitchener stitch is quite interesting........

The British Secretary of State for War, Horatio Herbert Kitchener, associated himself with the Red Cross drive to urge women to knit “comforts” or items for the men in the military, particularly mittens, socks and scarves. He was concerned about the foot problems the sock seams caused and personally contributed a pattern for socks which included a seamless grafting technique that would come to be known as the “Kitchener stitch”




Several years ago I promised to make two tea towels for a friend..........  At last I am getting them done.......  I like to make my own blanks and add a scalloped fabric border. The pattern can be found at Bird Brain Designs... HERE    I have enjoyed their products and used many of their free designs.



Begun..........  Also put aside in order to make some dish cloths..........



Started the process of making the Bishop dresses for Reba.....  I made many of them for her mother but it has been 25 years and I am a bit out of practice...  I have fabric for three size six month dresses.....  Yesterday I ordered labels for all of the items I make for her..........


Found this camouflage fabric for the first one........  Her father is an avid hunter so this should make him smile.........



All cut out and ready to pleat..........




1 comment:

  1. Lots of fun things you are working on! I love the sock story...and wish I could knit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10