Friday, February 04, 2011

About Those Hexagons

Someone asked how I made my Hexagons........ There are so many methods but this is the one that works best for me. I found that I could print my own paper online from here. I had some card stock (blue) and printed out a few pages..........



I liked cutting out paper dolls in my youth and cutting out the hexagons is much the same thing.



I traced one of the hexagons onto an indes card and added 1/4 inch all the way around. Then I cut that out to use as a pattern.





You can then either trace the design onto your fabric or if you are making lots of them you can


cut a strip of fabric, fold it in half and then half again (four layers), place the pattern on the fabric and cut it out freehand........ That really works best for making lots and lots of pieces.


Placing a hexagon in the center of one of the fabric pieces, I secure it with a binder clip on each side.






i usually use both hands but today I needed one to hold the camera.......

I place the needle up against the edge of the hexagon....



and fold the fabric over it. That seems to give me a crisp clean fold.


A couple of stitches and on to the next corner.



Soon all sides are complete.


I then place two hexagons side by side and with the aid of the binding clip start to whip stitch them together.


It is amazing how fast they go together...................




4 comments:

  1. Love your blog.

    You might want to try INKLINGO to make those Hexies. There is a free LeMoyne Star pattern on the site to try it out. You iron the fabric onto freezer paper and send it thru your printer and out pops the pattern right on your fabric. It's a WOW!!!

    www.inklingo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. great way to make those hexies - thanks for the tutorial.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan... Thanks for the tutorial...Great job, and you make it look easy... Now, one day I will try it... It looks like great hand work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting way to make the hexagons using binder clips - I had not seen that before. Thanks for sharing your method - always fun to learn new ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10