Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Honoring Our Quilting Heritage

I signed up for the "Honoring Our Quilting Heritage" by Lori Smith BOM from Homestead Hearth. Every month I get the fabric for five blocks..... I started late so I began two months behind. I am not trying to catch up, just fitting in a block when I can. I have six of them done.

This is Block Five. It was one of the easier blocks.



All the fabric for one block ready to be cut. I am being careful with my fabric and I save the small pieces in my CW Repro drawers. One day I will be able to make a log cabin quilt with the 3/4 inch pieces that are left after the fabric is cut.



Here it is cut and laid out to sew..........


I have an old salt dish that I spray starch into.



Then using a paint brush I can put the starch exactly where I want it. I have found that using steam or spraying starch on the entire block sometimes makes the bias edges bloom and they never press flat again.








And here we are...................All done...................






3 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty block and I love the fabrics.

Barbara J said...

Lovely fabrics coupled with an interesting block! Looking forward to some eye candy :)

Valentina said...

Oh Susan, this is amazing! Thanks for the starch tip. I will need to try this!
:)

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10