Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And She's Off

Since I am getting a grab bag of fabric scraps with each shipment from Homestead Hearth I have been contemplating what to do with them. I keep coming across one wonderful idea after another but so far I have not settled on anything specific. I am setting up a notebook with the ideas so that none get forgotten.

Some time back everyone was talking about "The Calico Garden" and of course I had to order the book that pattern was in. I liked that quilt and Rebekah is making it but the one that spoke to me was the Pincushion Quilt. It was just the thing I liked to do. I simply adore charm quilts. The thought of tracing and cutting out the 345 pieces needed for this quilt was not exactly what I wanted to do. Then I remembered my dear friend Carol of Inkspiration fame. I called her and we discovered that this would work out well. She made two stamps for me. One for the pincushion and one for the connection melon. She even put the registration marks on them and arrows for the grain line. The ink will wash out.

Last night I began stamping the fabrics. I devoted about 30 minutes to this project and got 15 fabrics stamped. Since the block the stamp is on is clear it is easy to see exactly where you are stamping.

From the looks of the stack of fabric it would seem that I have lots to choose from. That is really a rather large piece and I only netted 15 blocks from two bags of scraps. I have now decided that it will not be a charm quilt after all. I will use the larger pieces for this project and after all the pincushions are cut I can consider the next use of this fabric.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Suze, I love everything that you're working on!!! And how clever to have a stamp made for the pincushion quilt!! :> Your applique blocks from yesterday's post are just wonderful...and your Shaded Garden quilt is beautiful!! Your HAD top is really fabulous too! :D You are one busy girl right now!! Such sweet inspiration! :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think your friend would make more of those stamps? I really love that pattern for using my South African Indigos!!

    Are they expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stamps are genius!!! Great for you for thinking of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stamp was a great idea. You have been really busy. I love the blocks you have completed so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart thinking using the stamp. I always buy my hexagon papers as I don't think I could cut them all out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gracious, Suze, more eye candy and inspiration. I continue to be in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just a whirlwind of activity....I can't believe how much you have accomplished. Great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really is ingenious! Are you going to stitch them together by hand? What kind of special ink are you using that it washes out? This could be a new item to sell for Inkspiration from the sounds of it :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. more details on the stamps PLEASE!!!!!! What a great idea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so very clever to use the clear stamp! What type of ink are you using that will wash out?

    I bet your friend gets lots of emails asking about that stamp and others!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.......

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10