Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Introducing Abigail Leander

Posted by Picasa This is Abigail Leander. I discovered quilting in the fall of 2003. Until then I thought quilts should be made out of fabric leftover from garment making. I saved my fabrics and knew one day I would put them together for a quilt. Scrap quilts are my favorite and this seemed like a good plan.

I stopped at the local fabric shop for material to make napkins. They had a quilt on display made from fat quarters. I thought it would be a lovely project for a later time. As I waited in line for my purchase, a bolt of fabric on the bottom shelf grabbed my by the ankles. As they say, "The rest is history".

A little internet searching led me to Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville fame.
She had information on making quilts from leaders and enders......... I did not have the required stash for some of Bonnie's quilts so I went to Marcia Hohn's site for idea. There I found her block called "London Square". I cut my fabric and put it by the machine. Days went by and each time I stitched I began and ended with this quilt............

I really enjoyed the feeling of having a quilt top that I spent no time on. I decided I was going to make scads of these quilts........... What shall I call them? That is how the LEader ANd enDERs family was born. Now she still has to have backing. I have some fabric I can use but the entire time I was working on this quilt I pictured a lavendar back. We shall see...................

12 comments:

Hedgehog said...

I lover her - great story behind the name!

Lisa D. said...

That quilt is really beautiful. I love her name and the story behind it!

Suze said...

Thank you for the kind words. Some people are no-reply so I cannot thank you individually.

Rebekah Smith said...

This quilt is just beautiful! I can't wait to visit and see it in person. Of course that will have to be in the spring or summer.

Clare said...

She's lovely. What a lovely name and a lovely tale of how she was made. I think I agree with you about the Lavender backing.

Nancy said...

Wonderful quilt! And I love the story behind her name. :-)

Don't you just love the leaders/enders concept. My current on is a log cabin. Slowly the blocks are getting built and one day soon I'll be ready to set them together.

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Great post, great quilt.

Nina In Norway said...

How nice! Both story and quilt.

Susan said...

Abigail is beautiful. Fabric will do that to you. I love the leader/ender process, and I do have the tons of scraps - I've made a lot of Bonnie's patterns over the years.

cher said...

how lovely that you know the exact date of your retirement. Bonnie Hunter's patterns/ideas are the best-glad to read another fan's blog and enjoy your resulting quilt-way to go!

Quiltingfool said...

Love the story and the quilt and quilt name. Wish I had thought of it!!! lol
Judi in Ohio

Christine said...

Suze just love it and what great idea with the name, also you CC quilt looks fantastic

Christine

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10