Monday, October 16, 2006

An Emergency Plan

I read good advise this morning from a fellow blogger, Judy
It consider it a word to the wise.

On Friday, Dec. 9, 2005, I sat at my desk and considered what I needed to do before my daughter's anticipated arrival on Sunday. She was flying in from GA to help me install laminate flooring in our living room.

The sun was out and it had been a lovely day. I had many things to accomplish in preparation of the week to come. About 3:30 PM, the wind picked up and suddenly the sky turned dark........ When the electricity failed and it was getting close to the time to leave I got in my car and headed home. I live 1. 7 miles from home. Usual travel time is 8 minutes. That day it took almost two hours. Every way I tried to go had a tree down across the road or power lines down. I finally found a way that the fire department had just cleared and prayed as I drove under power lines hanging just above my car. We had what is now called a microburst. Our little town of Orleans lost over 2500 trees in a matter of minutes............ We were without electricity for two days.......... How glad I was to have the Coleman stove we use for camping to cook on, the Coleman lanterns for light, and an abundance of quilts to stay warm with. It is most important to have a plan in place for emergencies.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

glad to hear that no tree did get in your way while you were travelling in the car. I would have been quite nervous.

The Thread and I

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with thy might.

Ecclesiastes 9:10